I prefer to supervise projects that are interesting or
understandable to me. So, I suggest you to read my research page. In addition, you may choose
topics covered in the BIS4435 module (mainly AI, data analysis and
applications). Below is the list of topics that I certainly will be
happy to see projects on:
- Search and combinatorial optimisation problems (e.g. graph colouring, time-table optimisation). I am particularly interested in using stochastic search, such as genetic algorithms.
- Data mining and applications. Analyse a data set to reveal something interesting. This could be clustering, classification, learning dependencies, prediction and so on (e.g. using algorithms such as k-means, self-organising maps, independent component analysis etc). Datasets could be various, such as financial (e.g. stocks, currency exchange rates) or biological data (e.g. proteins, genes, DNA sequences).
- Text mining or any other unstructured data analysis.
- Development or implementation of learning systems and algorithms (e.g. intelligent agents, adaptive optimal control).
- Applications of neural networks (e.g. using feed-forward, recurrent networks for modelling or data-mining)
- Design and applications of symbolic expert systems (e.g. rule-based or case-based reasoning systems and their applications). Areas of applications could be games, commercial tasks (e.g. processing of forms), fault diagnostics.
- Cognitive modelling (e.g. using ACT-R). The work could reproduce or model some simple psychological experiment.
Also, take a loot at this page I wrote for students who start their projects: